Monday, January 30, 2012

DIY Painted Vinyl Roller Shade

A few weeks age I posted about my intention to paint a plain white roller shade for the nursery and asked for your insight on which pattern to choose (see here for that post). Thank you to all how commented- much appreciated! Well, there was no clear winner so I turned to my husband and he really liked the argyle pattern. So here is the final result:

Here's a close up:

I must say that I'm super happy with the way it turned out!
In case you'd like to work on a similar project here are the instructions:

Step 1: Prep Your Shade
Completely unroll the shade on a flat surface (on the floor works perfectly). Clean the surface using a damp cloth (unless it's really dirty in which case you can use a cleaning agent such a TSP). Find the middle of your shade with a tape measure, and mark with a pencil. This should be the starting point for your pattern or stencil, and then work your way the the edges of the shade.

For the argyle design, first figure out how many rows and columns of diamonds you want- I decided on three columns and two rows. To calculate the size of each diamond divide the length of the shade by the number of columns and the height by the number of rows. 


Here is my sketch which was then transferred onto the shade.



For greater detail on how to undertake an argyle pattern check out Toni's description at Design Dazzle.

Step 2: Painting the roller shade
Once your pattern is sketched out you can begin to paint. Latex paint will work very well. I didn't tape the edges but if you worry about not being able to paint straight lines I suggest using green painters tape to mark off the edges.

In the case of the argyle design there are two layers of paint (the diamond shape and the diagonal lines) so you'll have to allow the diamond shapes to dry. For the diagonal lines I marked off the center of each white diamond and then connected them using a long level to draw the lines. I then cut out a stencil on cardboard with the desired circle center and rectangle connectors. The circle was actually traced from the end of a highlighter. The stencil was traced onto the shade and then painted.

Step 3:  Let the entire shade dry for a few days so the paint can cure. Then you just step back an marvel at your hard work and pretty roller shade.
                                               Here's a close up. The colors match the nursery fabric- see here.


This was my January impossible project. Check it out at The Space Between Blog

Thistlewood Farm

I'd love to know what you think!
Nancy

16 comments:

  1. I am a sucker for argyle. This came out great! Would love for you to share at my new linky party:
    http://creatingyourhome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I am in LOVE with this idea. Your shade came out so great! I love the colors you picked, I love the argyle. I look forward to following the rest of the room's progress!!

    Thank you so much for linking up to the challenge!
    Karah

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun project! The argyle pattern is adorable and the colors you used are so authentic, too. :-) Am visiting from the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out completely gorgeous. It looks like a ton of work but well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is super cute - great idea!! Thanks so much for joining our challenge - following you!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm impressed...this looks great. So glad I found your blog cause' now I get to follow you. Pls stop by anytime and follow back, so we can keep in touch. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m sorry I’ve not visited your Impossibility Challenge post before now – this working lark does get in the way of real life !!! You are very clever - I'd never have dared to even try this, I'm so cack-handed. Well done. It's great.
    Congratulations on making your impossibility possible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks really cute!! I'm looking forward to see the nursery reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, so awesome! I love it!! Can't wait to see it in the room!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe you did this - it's wonderful. Love the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey!! I love this project and I love your blog! I wanted you to know that I gave you an award!

    Kelli @
    www.theinspiredcollection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Get Blinds.com, leading manufacturer of roman shades, top down bottom up shades, blinds and valances supplier holds its reputation for vinyl roller shade manufacturing world class custom window shades, window blinds, faux wood blinds, solar shades, custom window blinds, board mounted valances and pole mounted valances for best window treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome job! So clever and so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blog has given me that thing which I never expect to get from all over the websites. Nice post guys!

    regards,

    airless spray

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...